The Builders of Canberra-Cotter by Ann Gugler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://canberracamps.webs.com/.
Copyright Ann Gugler ©2012
The Cotter River was chosen to be the water supply for the new city of Canberra. It was one of the four major settlement centres of the city under construction and work began in 1912. Two camps were erected - the married quarters near the area where the Murrumbidgee and Cotter Rivers met and the single men's quarters closer to the dam area. A tent school was established in 1913 and lasted until 1917. Currently (2011) the height of the dam wall is being heightened.